When was the last time you woke up without an alarm, refreshed and didn’t need a big bucket of coffee to get going in the morning?
There’s no question that we all want better sleep! But, with all of the distractions, and stresses of daily life – it’s a wonder how any of us sleep at all…ever!
I blame it on today’s culture of “we’ve got to rise and grind!” in order to succeed – where we’re in a constant state of digital stimulation, hustle and bustle.
Truth is, not getting enough sleep impacts our brain health and memory long term, and even our body’s ability to detoxify and renew itself through cellular turnover and repair.
So, it’s really no wonder that we’re seeing an exponential increase in diseases like obesity, heart disease, Alzheimer’s, autoimmune disorders, and adrenal dysregulation. In fact, lack of sleep messes with many of our hormones – and you know what happens when our hormones aren’t happy!
Speaking of hormones – did you know that we have 400 times more MELATONIN (the body’s natural “sleep hormone”) in our gut than in our brains? That’s reason enough to focus on gut health as part of a healthy sleep routine!
Little known facts about what happens to our hormones when you don’t get enough zzz’s:
- GHRELIN – your hunger hormone increases by 15% after just one night of poor sleep. And, it can also dramatically affect your LEPTIN – the hormone of satiety. It’s no wonder we want to eat a big pile of sugar and carbs when we’re tired – we’re looking for a big fat energy fix!
- Chronic sleep deprivation correlates with elevated nighttime CORTISOL – your stress hormone. When cortisol is elevated, you’re not only more hungry, but you tend to store more visceral fat in the abdominal area = dreaded belly fat!
- The production of HUMAN GROWTH HORMONE (HGH – dubbed the fountain of youth hormone) is at its peak during the first half of our sleep. This is what’s known as the Delta sleep stage – when we get into our deepest sleep and restoration takes place.
It protects muscle from breaking down, aids in building new lean muscle tissue, and gives you energy. This means you’re able to lose weight more efficiently and maintain lean body mass…but only when you sleep well!
Here are 6 ways you can help boost your body’s own biological rhythm for better sleep:
- KEY NUTRIENTS: Eat a diet rich in both prebiotic & probiotic foods as the bacteria in your gut can interfere with Melatonin. Also, eating foods that are high in “sleep nutrients” is essential.
For example, Potassium helps us stay asleep and can be found in bananas, coconut water and avocados. Magnesium is a relaxant, and helps us to fall asleep, but 80% of us are believed to be deficient in this multi-tasking mineral.
- BALANCED DINNER: Pay special attention to the last meal of the day – a balanced dinner should include an ample amount of protein, veggies, good fats, and a small amount of “slow, low” complex carbs like sweet potatoes, wild rice or quinoa.
- LIMIT ALCOHOL: Alcohol inhibits deep REM sleep – this is when we dream as well as when our memories get solidified from short to long-term.
Even just one glass of our beloved vino can affect REM sleep. Enough said – limit alcohol, especially right before bed.
- PRACTICE GOOD SLEEP HYGIENE: the environment you create, and the rituals and routines you follow around sleep = sleep hygiene. So, an earlier bedtime (by 10pm) + practicing good sleep hygiene = better sleep!
- DITCH THE DEVICES! This cannot be understated and falls into practicing good sleep hygiene. Set a screen curfew for at least an hour before bed. The blue light emitted from our devices lowers melatonin production by up to 50%. Wow!
- ESSENTIAL OILS: adding a few drops of calming EO’s like lavender, vetiver, frankincense, sandalwood & Roman chamomile in a diffuser, in a hot bath before bed or on your pillow can work wonders to help you drift off to sleep.
There’s absolutely no question that getting enough quality sleep is one of the most important things you can do for your overall health! It does take some practice, and perhaps a few biological “hacks” to balance your body’s natural circadian rhythm, but a better night’s sleep can be achieved!
Ok, it’s debatable whether we should be eating between dinner and the next morning’s breakfast – but what if you have trouble sleeping and natural sleep supplements just aren’t your thing?
How about trying a natural source of sleep nutrients – Montmorency tart cherries! They’re naturally rich in melatonin, tryptophan (the amino acid responsible for the infamous “turkey coma”), vitamin C, vitamin A, and potassium, plus a bit of Magnesium.
Cherry-Ginger-Lime Sleepytime Smoothie
Makes 2 servings
2 cups tart cherries – fresh or frozen
¾ cup blueberries – fresh or frozen
1 whole lime – peeled
⅔ cup plain Greek yogurt – organic, grass fed and full fat suggested (can substitute with non-dairy cultured “yogurt”)
¼ cup tart cherry juice – pure & unsweetened
1 scoop high quality protein powder – plain flavor, unsweetened & vegan (or pure hemp) protein suggested
2 inch piece ginger root – thinly sliced
2 Tbsp. flaxseed, freshly ground (can substitute with chia seed, but this will change the consistency)
¾ cup water and a few ice cubes for desired consistency
Add all ingredients to a high speed blender and pulse on high (or use smoothie setting) until desired consistency reached. Add ice and/or water if necessary. Consume 30-60 minutes prior to bedtime.
Healthline: 10 Health Benefits of Tart Cherry Juice
🔥🔥A GIFT FOR YOU 🔥🔥
❓Do you ever lie awake in bed at night, trying to fall asleep but your mind won’t turn off?
🛌 Do you ever look forward to collapsing in bed so you can finally get some rest – only to find yourself wide awake and stressing over another sleepless night? 😫 🧟♀️
😴😴😴I created the “Supercharge Your Sleep” guide to help people just like you get more quality sleep and feel ready to take on the day! 🤸♀️
👉How your sleeping position affects you
👉Why each phase of sleep matters (especially for dealing with stress!)
👉How to prepare your body (and brain) for sleep each night
👉How sleep affects your weight
💡This guide focuses on simple changes you can make to get the rest you need to live your life to the fullest.
🔥 And it’s available for FREE right now for a limited time! 🔥
👇👉 Go here to get your FREE ‘Super Charge Your Sleep Guide’ http://bit.ly/GoSuperChargeYourSleep [Opens in Facebook Messenger]